This ship was first a Confederate ship, then after being captured, was used by the Union.
CSS General Bragg, a 1043-ton side-wheel steamer, was built at New York City in 1850 as the commercial steamship Mexico. In January 1862, she was taken over by the Confederacy at New Orleans, converted to a "cottonclad" ram and renamed General Bragg. As part of the River Defense Fleet, she took part in the defenses of Memphis, Tennessee, and its vicinity. In an action off Fort Pillow on 10 May 1862 she helped disable the U.S. ironclad Cincinnati and was herself put out of action. On 6 June, she was run aground and captured during the naval battle off Memphis. After repairs, she became USS General Bragg.
USS General Bragg
SS General Bragg, a 1043-ton side-wheel steamer, was built at New York City in 1850 as the commercial steamer Mexico. She served the Confederacy as the "cottonclad" ram CSS General Bragg in 1862 and was captured off Memphis, Tennessee, on 6 May of that year. Following repairs, she entered Federal service and operated along the Mississippi River and its tributaries during the rest of 1862 and into 1863. After the capture of Vicksburg, Mississippi, in July 1863, General Bragg remained in that vicinity until late in the year, when she moved downriver to patrol the Red River area. She was damaged in action with Confederate batteries at Tunica Bend, Louisiana, on 15 June 1864. During the rest of the Civil War, General Bragg continued her service along the Mississippi between the Red River and New Orleans. She was decommissioned on 24 July 1865 and sold in September. Renamed Mexico, she was employed for U.S. civilian purposes until 1870, when she was sold to foreign interests.
USS General Bragg